Pages

Wednesday 17 November 2010

IBM X3650 UEFI Causes XenServer 5.6 Boot Issues

I have been installing XenServer on to some new IBM X3650 M3 Servers recently and have experienced very slow boot times and also issues in connecting to Fibre attached storage.


Symptom:
It takes some 10-20+ minutes every boot for the QLogic cards to present all the LUNS/Paths to the UEFI before continuing the ordinary boot-sequence.
When XenServer is installed without any HBA cards installed the servers will boot without issue. When the HBA cards are installed the XenServer fails to boot.


Issue:
The new Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) which replaces BIOS causes issues. The problem is that XenServer does not support UEFI Yet!
The problem happened when we assigned a LUN to the Qlogic FC, after that, the server won't boot into local drive, which is where XenServer is installed.


Resolution:
To fix this, you need
1. Press F1 to get into uefi bios
2. Add "legacy only" as a boot option
3. set "legacy only" as the first in boot order
4. commit to all the changes

3 comments:

  1. You save me many hours of troubleshooting. Thank you very much for providing the information. I have rebuilt it once, thought of rebuilding until I stumble upon your blog... great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You for the info. I was going crazy with my IBM x3650 M2 and VMware.
    10 points!!!!
    Regards from Barcelona ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I am using your good advice now. I hope it boots correctly when done.
    Cheers for saving me more hours of watching this horrible IBM server booting, slowly...

    Ez

    ReplyDelete